I Think I Found a Big Problem with NonCombat Rolls

I spoke with you earlier about non-combat actions and, after running some numbers, I think I found out the reason as to why I was a bit concerned. The problem has to do with the Degree (six-sided) dice. If you step away from the system you will discover that is currently unnecessary to have this roll. Judging the degree of success should really be recorded by how well the player rolls the D10 added to their Precision. Any number higher than the target number should count towards a greater system for successes. The separate D6 degree is a blind eye of sorts; it doesnt care one bit about a characters Precision. Someone with a low Precision squeaks by the target number but manages to roll a 6 for their degree, while another character, with a much higher Precision, instead rolls a one. The problem is that these two dice rolls might seem connected, but in reality they are not, at least not enough to warrant a solid system. Over a period of rolls I discovered that too much emphasize is placed on the single D6 dice and not on the users actual Skill. The only real time that the Precision dice and the Degree dice work together in unison is through contested roles. This scares me greatly because I think it is a big flaw in the overall system.

In laymens terms what Im saying is this: there needs to be some way to transfer how well you roll on your D10 into how well you roll into your D6. The D10 roll currently is an on/off switch and needs to link more with the D6 roll to determine the characters results.

I hope this makes some sense. Please let me know what you think.



E-mail this post

Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Problem with the proposed system:

The idea of counting the highest dice rolled is a good idea but the problem is that there isn’t enough variance between rolls. As a characters skill level increases, the system does not accurately track that progression. Here’s my example. Let’s use a skill, call it whatever, and range its effects from level 3 all the way to level 10. I’m rolling each skill level 10 times and taking an average test the system more efficiently. Also I’m not listing every dice roll, just the highest recorded dice for that roll.

Skill at level 3 (Meaning I rolled 3 dice) – After Performing a Total of 10 rolls
6, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 6, 7, 9 = 8.1 Average Highest Number

Skill at level 5 (Meaning I rolled 5 dice) – After Performing a Total of 10 rolls
7, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 7, 10, 5, 5 = 8.3 Average Highest Number

Skill at level 7 (Meaning I rolled 7 dice) – After Performing a Total of 10 rolls
10, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9, 8, 9 = 9.3 Average Highest Number

Skill at max level 10 (Meaning I rolled 10 dice) – After Performing a Total of 10 rolls
10, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9, 9 = 9.5 Average Highest Number

There is a slight variance of these number but the point I’m try to make is that, on average, a character with a minor skill level (3) will be adding around an 8 to their Precision while an advanced character (10) will be adding a 9 or maybe a 10. That’s only a difference of 2 and the current system for gauging success does not work with this at all.

I’m going to work on this some more. I believe there is a way to fix this but the highest dice rule just doesn’t work on its own.





Add a Comment